There is not much information about them in the military database because only a select few in the U.S. military know about them. Also, the development project was stopped and most of the records were destroyed (this latter information is all that Lieutenant General Larry Garfield knows. Hence, it is not known when the project was restarted and by whom). Lieutenant Colonel Gregory Barrows, who was unhappy about his lack of treatment and authority, ordered the Hamlin Battalion to turn against the United States and utilize the Terror Bites as part of Barrows' plan to destroy the country shortly after the weapon was approved for use.
Captain William Rush saw the Terror Bites first hand when a group of W.O.L.F. terrorists attempted to use it (referred to as sample) on him, only for him to look on in horror as the beetles eat away at the terrorists' flesh before fending them off. The V.S.S.E. agents experienced this thrice in the airport. The first is when they leave the arrival's terminal, the second is when an attack helicopter crashes in, causing the mosquitoes to be released from the helicopter and the third is when the Hamlin Battalion soldiers released the beetles on the V.S.S.E. agents, forcing them to defend themselves.
There are four different types of Terror Bites:
- Beetle Bites (スカラベ型テラーバイト): First appearing in the prologue (arcade mode) and in chapter 1 (FPS mode), these Terror Bites are shaped like beetles and are a swarming enemy. If they get on the player, they will latch onto them and start draining them of health. The machine gun is the preferred weapon of choice by the game and Rush whenever this type of Terror Bite appears, but the shotgun or grenade works just as well.
- Mosquito Bites (ハチ型テラーバイト): First appearing in stage 1-1 (arcade mode) and in chapter 1 (FPS mode), these Terror Bites, like the Beetle form, are small enemies resembling wasps and are another swarming enemy. If they get on the player, they will latch onto them and start draining them of health. The shotgun is the preferred weapon of choice by Rush, although a well-placed grenade can destroy the entire swarm at once.
- Mite Bites (ダニ型テラーバイト): First appearing in stage 1-3 (arcade mode if players succeed in the third screen battle), stage 2-2 (arcade mode if players fail in the third screen battle) and in chapter 1 (FPS mode), these Terror Bites are shaped like a flat surface. However, they expand quickly upon proximity of their targets and will explode if not destroyed, causing the player to lose one life unit. There are 5 of these in the arcade mode (two in stage 1-3, two in stage 2-2 and one in stage 3-3 requiring more hits to destroy) but many in the FPS mode (each having lower endurance). The machine gun is the preferred weapon of choice but the shotgun or grenade works just as well.
- Mantis Bites (カマキリ型テラーバイト): First appearing in stage 2-3 (arcade mode) and in chapter 12 (FPS mode), these are the largest Terror Bites and are shaped like a praying mantis. When destroyed, they will each release 3 offspring which are weaker then the original host and can only travel forward. They are very agile and attack by slashing at the player. If the big one slashes the player, they lose one life unit. If one small offspring slashes the player, they lose about 1/3 life unit. There are 10 of these in the arcade mode (four in stage 2-3 and six in stage 3-3) but many in the FPS mode. The handgun or machine gun is the preferred weapon of choice when they are jumping and the shotgun is the preferred weapon of choice when they are on the ground. Each offspring requires one shot to destroy it.
The Terror Bites are controlled and directed by specific radio frequencies. The W.O.L.F. Leader, Wild Dog, some of the terrorists, Hamlin Battalion soldiers, specific members of the Hamlin Battalion, as well as Barrows, wear devices that transmit signals so that the Terror Bites cannot attack them. Specific members of the Hamlin Battalion used devices that actually control the movements of the Terror Bites. Captain Rush can use an item called the UPD (ultra pulse device) which is a specially designed anti-Terror Bite weapon. The UPD emits sound waves which eliminates all Terror Bites within range of its user for a period of time. Also, killing the Terror Bite operator will cause all the Terror Bites he operates to be destroyed.
|“||Damn! They're coming in! Use the sample!||„|
|~ Introduction of Terror Bites by W.O.L.F. terrorists|
|“||Request permission to use the weapon, sir. (When beetles bites are released) Permission granted.||„|
|~ Introduction of Terror Bites by the "terrorists" (Hamlin Battalion)|
|“||The creature that just attacked you is a biological weapon developed by our military, codenamed "Terror Bite". [Beth: Take a left at the next corner.] Looks like they've already got their hands on a few specimens. No matter what happens, we've got to stop the next trade.||„|
|~ William Rush, explaining the type of weapon that the "terrorists" used to attack the two V.S.S.E. agents|
|“||What are these bugs?! Is that the top secret weapon? It's like some kind of nightmare! We need better firearms!||„|
|~ Initial reaction of the National Guard about the Terror Bites|
- Stages 1-2, 3-1 and 3-2 are the only levels where players do not fight any Terror Bites. Although the Terror Bites appear and attack the National Guard troops in stage 3-1, they cannot be shot down by the players.
- Also, stage 3-3 is the only level where players fight all types of Terror Bites.
- Stage 1-3 is the only level where players fight different types of Terror Bites depending on the outcome of the third screen battle. The Mite Bites are used if the player succeeds, otherwise the Mosquito Bites are used if the player fails.
- Wild Dog and Wild Fang are the only bosses that do not use any Terror Bites to attack the players.
- If the player survives for at least 15 seconds after being attacked by Terror Bites that drains player's life bar (beetle, mosquito or small mantis offspring) or when moving to the next area, it will regenerate back to one full life.