The Biological Weapon Special Operations Unit, or the Hamlin Battalion [sometimes spelled as Hamelin Battalion] (ハーメルン大隊, Hāmerun-Daitai), is a top secret U.S. military unit in Time Crisis 4 which went rogue by helping the enemies of the free world. The soldiers are working for their leader Lieutenant Colonel Gregory Barrows. The climax is fought in an air force base at Colorado as they tried to launch UCAVs to cause mass destruction in all major U.S. cities. Their namesake stems from the Pied Piper of Hamelin as the Terror Bites are designed to follow orders via sound waves.
Comprising of the best soldiers from the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines, and under the command of the U.S. Army, the Hamlin Battalion was formed after the Second World War as a top secret unit which specialized in the training of animals for military use. However, knowledge of its existence was limited amongst the chain of command and never made public because of its inhumane nature. Initially, the trained animals were mainly used for mine clearing but in the 90s, the Hamlin Battalion began to shift its focus to the manipulation of genetically enhanced creatures for use in battle while continuing its research in secret. However, practical application of the research was difficult and several soldiers died while conducting experiments. In fact, there were numerous incidents which were either not made public or were covered up such as an incident which one subject involved in a research managed to escape the facility which ended in a destruction of an entire island and the incident being covered up as a missile test.
After the destruction of Dam #18 in California which resulted in Lieutenant General Larry Garfield approving the V.S.S.E. involvement to assist Captain William Rush, the details of the Hamlin Battalion are made public, eventually labeling this unit as a terrorist organization.
The leader of the Hamlin Battalion, Barrows had the entire unit go rogue due to his poor treatment in the military. He attempted to terrorize the country by using Terror Bites his men have stolen. In an attempt to destroy the cities before he is stopped, he launched numerous UCAVs to fire nuclear cruise missiles at major cities in the U.S. When the U.S. military and the V.S.S.E. counterattack the AFB he has occupied, he launches the UCAVs and destroys the stairs leading to the missile self-destruct controls. He is killed by the two V.S.S.E. agents who managed to destroy the missiles in time.
Status: Presumed deceased
A member of the Hamlin Battalion and leader of the 2nd company, he is sent by Barrows to steal more Terror Bites in a research facility in Wyoming for their cause. He encounters Rush and the two V.S.S.E. agents at the facility and engages them in combat. He battles the trio, especially Rush who attacks him constantly and asks him why he is betraying his country. Mathers tells him that "his" orders are absolute and severely beats up Rush, but is defeated after the latter launches a devastating uppercut punch on him. He is believed to have bled out after receiving the uppercut so hard on the jaw, sending him flying to the inside of the storage, not before telling the trio that they are too late.
A member of the Hamlin Battalion, he is the brother of Jack Mathers sent to occupy Dam #18 in California to distract the main unit which is trying to steal more Terror Bites in a research facility in Wyoming for their cause. Unlike his brother who is loyal to Gregory Barrows, he is loyal to the Hamlin Battalion. He encounters Rush in the power facility and when Rush said that the Hamlin Battalion is only stealing Terror Bites for the purpose of making money, he counters by telling Rush to not compare him to the backstabbing traitor (Marcus Black) and instead telling that he's going to tear his country apart which made him feel good. After a battle, he triggers a detonator which destroys the outer walls of the dam in an attempt to take down Rush with him. He is last said having completed a mission for his brother before dying due to the dam being destroyed.
A member of the Hamlin Battalion and leader of the 3rd company. He held a low position in the U.S. military due to their harsh treatment for special operation units. In addition, he is unhappy for receiving payment cuts for the front line missions he frequently undertakes. Hence, he is strongly disappointed with the U.S. military and the government. To fulfill his interest of money, he broke apart from the battalion and attempted to sell a truck shipment of Terror Bites to the terrorists at an agreeable price. The truck is intercepted by the V.S.S.E. and Rush, resulting in a battle in the city. Despite his use of a custom-made Barrett M107 anti-tank rifle in one hand, a compact grappling hook to swing from high places and hurl heavy objects, infantry soldiers, and terror bites, he is killed by Rush, who then reveals that Black's men were from the U.S. military and not terrorists. Rush refuses to believe that "he was fighting against his own men" all along, prompting the V.S.S.E. to "do some more investigation".
Types of Infantry Edit
- White or normal class soldiers are often the ones you see. They are dressed in digital urban camouflage uniforms and Advanced Combat Helmets, equipped with devices which prevents the Terror Bites from attacking them and radios, and are armed with H&K Mark 23 handguns. Their shots have low accuracy and they carry battle axes if thrown or used as the melee weapon, are always lethal and can damage barricades. They can use semi-transparent bullet proof shields. There are a few other variants of the normal class soldiers: some wear half-face masks without helmets and goggles, while some wear helmets without goggles on. In the FPS mode, killing them drop handgun rounds for Captain Rush. Also, a few normal class soldiers in that mode use sniper rifles.
- Black suited soldiers are the leader class and have higher accuracy than the normal soldiers. They may be often the cost the loss of their lives if not for the battle axe or the "Red" Soldiers. They, along with the yellow suited soldiers, are the only enemy soldier types in stage 3-3. In the FPS mode, they can use semi-transparent bulletproof shields and submachine guns. Killing those drop machine gun rounds for Captain Rush.
- Yellow suited soldiers have ammunition which will give them for the player's machine gun, shotgun or grenade when killed. Like the previous game, one shot will kill soldiers of this class, but three shots are recommended to get as much ammo from them as possible. Unlike the previous game, the ammunition is shared for both players in two-player mode. There are at least 49 of these soldiers in the arcade mode (five in the prologue, nine or ten in stage 1-1 [two in the first screen battle drop shotgun shells only, and two or three in the second screen battle], one in stage 1-3 [two if players fail the third screen battle], five in stage 2-1, nine in stage 2-2 [eleven in link play], three in stage 2-3, eleven in stage 3-2 and six in stage 3-3). One of them in stage 3-3 uses a battle axe that could also chop a life. In the FPS mode, there are fewer yellow soldiers that drop shotgun shells only for Captain Rush. The obtained ammunition are varied like previous game, such as:
- Machine Gun (Drops 30, 20 and 10 rounds respectively and if player got 3 machine gun ammunition the ammo gained is capped to 90)
- Shotgun (Drops 4, 2, 1 shells respectively and capped to 7 shells if player got 3 Shotgun)
- Grenade (Drops only capped to 1 with max of 3)
- Red-suited soldiers are the marksmen armed with the same weapon as those of the normal soldiers but frequently fire critical shots with high accuracy. In addition, their first shot is always a critical shot like the other Red-suited soldiers in Time Crisis series. One of them in stage 2-2 uses a battle axe that could also chop a life. In the FPS mode, killing them drop a lot of handgun rounds for Captain Rush and a small number of them use semi-transparent bullet proof shields.
- Green suited soldiers are armed with Mk 2 hand grenades and Pansarskott m/86 missile launchers. They each require 3 handgun shots to kill them. While the hand grenades they throw and the missiles they fire are highly accurate, they can be shot down. In the FPS mode, killing them drop hand grenades only for Captain Rush.
- Terror bite operators are the white or normal class soldiers equipped with night vision scopes, semi-transparent bulletproof shields, and submachine guns. They control the Terror Bites via a joystick on their right knee. They have high accuracy if they use their submachine guns. Like the green soldiers, they each require 3 handgun shots to kill them. In the FPS mode, killing them will cause the Terror Bites they operate to be destroyed and drop machine gun rounds for Captain Rush. Four of them appear in cinematics and cutscenes especially the first one who makes the debut of the troop type.
- High-tech reinforced armor soldiers are protected by exoskeletons and armed with modified M249 para machine guns which are used as melee weapons when they are up close. They have more health than the normal soldiers (36 handgun shots, 102 machine gun shots, 36 shotgun hits or 2 grenade shots to kill one). If the shotgun is fired at close range, they will be temporarily stunned as they often fall down and try to get back on their feet again. If the machine gun is continuously used after the armor is sufficiently damaged from continuous fire, they will be stunned and not be able to fire back, but not to the point of falling down. Their helmets can be destroyed if continuously fired at the head, revealing half-face masks. When killed, they will give ammunition for the player's machine gun [they each drop 99 machine gun rounds found in their ammunition drum (arcade mode) or a maximum of 70 machine gun rounds for Captain Rush (FPS mode)]. There are only 4 (solo play) or 5 (link play) in the arcade mode but many in the FPS mode. The best weapon to deal with them from afar is the machine gun with the shotgun being an alternative if they get too close.
Other Weapons Edit
- Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Trucks appear in stages 1-2 and 3-1 where they attack the UH-1D helicopter the main characters are on. They are either armed with quad of 35 mm Oerlikon KDA autocannons or two quad FIM-92 Stinger missiles.
- Modified Strykers appear in stage 3-1 and chapters 6 and 7 in the FPS mode. They are armed with two quad FIM-92 Stinger missiles.
- UH-1D transport helicopters appear in chapter 1 in the FPS mode. They are armed with M3P .50 cal machine gun.
- Modified OH-58C Kiowa attack helicopters appear in stages 1-2 and 3-1, and chapters 6 and 7 in the FPS mode. They are armed with M3P .50 cal machine gun and two M261 launchers with Hydra 70 rockets.
- Jeeps appear in stage 2-2 and chapter 1, 6 and 7 in the FPS mode. They are armed with a Browning M2 machine gun.